10th Conquer the Cove 25k & Marathon
This race has gone to a virtual option. See info below for the Virtual Information
At this time you do not need a day use pass for Carvins Cove Natural Reserve
We hate that our premier event has had to be canceled, but with the Governors Executive Order being in effect until June 10th, there is no other option. If you want a challenge (without worrying about a cutoff time this year), a “Run Mtns” shirt or tank top and a special award, you can still participate. Use the button above to signup or convert your non virtual entry to a virtual one.
Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the place to run and ride if you are in Roanoke. It is the second largest municipal park in the nation. It holds not only a major water source within its 12,700 acres, but also overflowing recreation opportunities. There is approximately 40 miles of roads and trails in the park and within trail plan there should be miles and miles of new trails added each year.
Virtual Race information;
Virtual races happen all the time and allow you to join the fun without the crowds. Carvins Cove is still open for you to recreate. You can still run the course in a Virtual manner. The main difference is that Loch Haven Lake Resort, the usual race headquarters, will not be part of the event.
The Start and Finish line will be the green gate at the Timberview Parking area
This is the entrance to the cove and trail systems. This will shorten the courses by approximately 2.43 miles. You simply run the race course you signed up for and send us your Garmin, Strava, or other device link to verify your run. See information below for Strava.
To make the race distance that of the official course you can run an out and back on Timberview Road. The turnaround will be at an iconic landmark located at 2875 Timberview Road. You will recognize this as the Pegasus house. Run to the driveway and head back to the parking lot. If you want to entertain us, take a pic with the Pegasus in the background and send it or tag us in a Facebook post.
This virtual race option includes; running the race without worry of the time cut-offs, a race shirt or tank top, unique award and a partial refund that will make your final entry fee equal $25 (minus the refund processing fee)
This gives all of our RNUTS participants a chance to run on their own and use this as one of their 4 qualifying events. For participating in this event all RNUTS entrants will get the minimum points of 2.5 for the 25k and 3 for the Marathon.
Directions to Start / Finish area
Timberview Parking area
Off of Route 419 (Electric Road), turn off on to Dutch Oven Road and then almost immediately turn right onto Timberview Road. This road will end at a gravel parking lot.
Course; the course will not be marked, please familiarize yourself with the course – Race Map
Shirt / Award Pickup
Once you have completed your virtual race, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll coordinate getting everything to you.
Virtual RACE RULES / Info;
- Be familiar with the course.
- Don’t litter
- Be kind to other trail users
- Enjoy the experience and challenge
- We have also setup a Strava Club for the event
- This shows links to the 2020 25k and marathon courses/segments
- Strava helps verify who has done the full courses
- Here you can see how you stack up to everyone that has done the course over the years, in the club, and also sort it according to this year, gender and other options.
- To participate in this year’s event, please read the following:
- You must have, at least, a free Strava account (https://www.strava.com/register/free)
- If you do not have a GPS watch, simply download the free Strava mobile app and use your mobile device to record your run.
- you can also forward me your run from Garmin Connect or another running app that captures your running route and time.
- you can run with a buddy and use their time.
- or, we’ll just have to figure out another option
- Connect to the Strava Club I have created for this year’s event https://www.strava.com/clubs/652829 – and request to join.
- Course Info is in the strava link or on our website at the following link https://mountainjunkies.net/conquer-the-cove-25k-marathon/
- From there, I will approve access for only those who are current entrants in the virtual race.
- Please do not share this link as only runners that choose the virtual option will be added.
- Choose a date between now and May 31st to run the course.
- You must run the correct course.
- Other ‘virtual’ runs will not be considered.
- Once finished, upload your run to your Strava account (make it publicly viewable) and we’ll be able to see your results alongside everyone else in this year’s event. The leaderboard will automatically give us the stats we need for the results.
- We are still figuring out how to get your race gear to you. We’ll let you know when we have that figured out. No gear will be mailed.
- Other things to consider:
- Since this year’s event is now a self-supported, run on your own event, this means the course will not be marked with its usual pink streamers and caution tape, nor will there be an aid station.
- Understand that you are attempting this run at your own risk.
- Remember that there are no course sweepers and no trash should be dropped or left on the trail.
- We appreciate you continuing to be Mountain Junkies (in groups of less than 10).
For Race Information Contact:
Mountain Junkies L.L.C.
212 East Main Street, Salem, VA 24153