10th Frozen Toe 10k
1/12/2019 – Chestnut Ridge Loop Trail
The Frozen Toe is back 2019. This is a great loop trail that is easily accessed from downtown. We use this trail throughout the year and join it with other trails in the area to train for many of the races we’ve done over the years. Come out and enjoy this event and kick off the New Year with a healthy activity. Walkers are welcome.
The Chestnut Ridge Loop Trail is a 5.6 mile challenging single track trail that loops around the Roanoke Mountain Campground. This is a great trail with a little bit of everything. It is a fast and flowy trail that holds up well to the winter weather and is perfect for a January trail event.
We are very fortunate to be able to use the New Hope Christian Church as our Event Headquarters. They have offered us a nice facility close to the loop trail with plenty of parking.
Packet Pickup and Event Day Info
Thursday 1/10/19 at Gilbert Chiropractic in Salem – 375-3990; from 10-1 & 3-6.
Friday 1/11/19 at Fleet Feet Sports in Roanoke – 4347 Franklin Road – 777-1166; from 10am-7pm
Packet Pickup and Check-in – 7:15-8:45
If the event fills up, there will be no race day registration available
There will be a course briefing at 8:40
The event will start at the New Hope Christian Church. From the back of the parking lot you will run down to Welcome Valley Road, taking a right to the turnaround point before heading to the Chestnut Loop Trail. Clockwise or Counter Clockwise nobody knows (but probably clockwise)! Once back to Welcome Valley Road you will take a right and run back to the church/finish.
The top 3 male and female winners along with the first male and female 40+ will receive unique awards.
13 male and female age groups. with medals given to the top 3 in each age group.
Age brackets for the event include, for both male and female: 14 and under; 15-19; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64, 65-69, 70 & up.
If you win an award and cannot stay for the awards presentation, we’ll have the awards at Gilbert Chiropractic, for 2 weeks (540-375-3990). After that, they will go into the rotation for the next year.
Parking for the event: The event headquarters is going to be the New Hope Christian Church off of Welcome Valley Road.
- Dogs are NOT permitted.
- Your Bib number must be worn on your front, and visible at all times. Do not tear off the bottom strip until the finish (Even if we chip time the event. The tear tag is our backup).
- Follow the marked trail – no short cutting. We have eyes everywhere! The trail will be marked with Orange and/or Yellow Flags. These will be placed often throughout the loop
- Communicate and be courteous when passing or being passed. Same goes for our volunteers. They’ve taken their day off to help you.
- There will be on Water/Gatorade stop at mile 3.4
- Headphones (ipods, mp3 players, etc) are permitted only if you keep the volume down so that you can hear other runners behind you and our volunteers when they need to get your attention. Failure to do this will jeopardize the use of headphones for you and the other runners in the future.
- If you drop out for any reason, please let us know at the finish line.
Results are typically done as the race is going on. We usually place these in close proximity to the finish line, on our white enclosed trailer.
Live results are typically uploaded to the race’s runsignup.com page as the race is going on.
And, finally we post final results ASAP following each race, to our results page www.mountainjunkies.net/results
Directions to the Start/Finish at New Hope Christian Church:
4229 Welcome Valley Road, Roanoke, VA 24014
From Roanoke: Take I-581 South. I-581 turns into HWY 220 South. Just after the Outback Steakhouse take a left onto Old Rocky Mount Road (State Route 789). You will be on this for about .8 miles and the New Hope Christian Church will be on your Left.
For More Information Contact:
Mountain Junkies L.L.C.
212 East Main Street, Salem, VA 24153