12th Into the Darkness Night Trail Run
October 27th, 2018, 7:00pm
Long Sleeve Shirts guaranteed by registering on or before October 2nd
About the race
This is the Roanoke Valley’s most unique event. The course will take you through 4 miles of the Explore Park. Much of the course is on IMBA designed trails. The course consists of 3 miles of twisty rolling single track and 1 mile of grass and asphalt roads. These trails will be marked with reflective arrows, glow sticks, and the occasional surprise (nothing scary, this is a family event). Every effort will be taken so that you will easily be able to find your way and stay on course.
A light source is mandatory; it is recommended that you have at least a headlamp or flashlight. I personally think it is best to carry one of each. A headlamp to see where you are going and a flashlight to cast shadows and give you depth perception (easier to see those sneaky roots and rocks). We will leave this up to your personal preference. It is recommended that you try your choice of light source under similar conditions prior to running the race.
PLEASE NOTE—Headlamps, flashlights, and any other light source will not be provided by race management.
Race Day Itinerary
5:15-6:40pm – Packet Pickup and Check-in.
6:45-7:00pm – Race Briefing – Discussion of Race & Course details.
– Spaghetti dinner (from Mamma Maria’s in Salem) along with a lot of other food – (of course pumpkin bread).
– Door Prizes will be given out while the results are being processed
– Into the Darkness Awards Ceremony
Age brackets for the races include, for both male and female:
9 & Under; 10-14; 15-19, 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70 & over
The top 3 overall male and female finishers for each race will receive distinctive awards.
The top three finishers in each age group will receive a medal recognizing their achievement.
Race Course Description;
The race course is a mix of trail and paved and grassy roads. We start you out on a road so that you have time to spread out before hitting the the trail. From there it is a matter of following the person in front of you are the many reflective tacks, glowsticks or trail decor that we have set out for your amusement.
Detailed course description;
The race will start down by the yellow gate at Journeys End (the one leading to the Farmstead Loop).
- Slight changes this year;
- the start and finish will be in the same location, near the yellow gate at our race headquarters.
- from the start, you will run up the asphalt road (Old Salem Turnpike – Vomit Hill) leading up to the parking lot B (Brugh Tavern lot). At the back of this lot you will head on to the Forresters Trail.
- The Forresters Trail will take you to the Blue Loop. At about 2.5 miles you’ll take a connector trail to the left. sharp left. This trail will connect with the red trail, taking you along the river.
- Now you will take the River Trail all the way back to the Houtz Barn Trail, up the hill to the Farmstead Loop and Finish where the race started.
- 4.2 miles measured by bike odometer and 450ft of elevation gain
Directions to the Explore Park
Once on the Blue Ridge Parkway go to milepost 115. Take the road into the Explore Park. Once in the park, you will take the first left and head down to the river and the race headquarters at Journeys End – parking lot D.
Race Headquarters and Parking
We will be using Parking Lot D first and then parking along the road leading up to the Visitors Center Lot A and the Brugh Tavern Lot B.
From the South on I-81
Take I-81 to exit 143 for I-581 south. Take I-581 south through downtown Roanoke. Once you are through downtown I-581 turns to HWY 220. Continue to take 220 south until you reach the exit for the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP). This will be about a mile after the Lowe’s and Home Depot. Take the BRP north approximately 6 miles to the exit for Virginia’s Explore Park. Take this road a mile or so until you enter the park. Race headquarters is at Journeys End.
From the North on I-81
Take I-81 to exit 150B (alternate 220 South). Take A220 approximately 5.5 miles south to HWY 460. You will take a left onto 460 East. Take 460 approximately 2.9 miles to the exit for the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP). Once on the BRP head south for approximately 9.4 miles to the exit for Virginia’s Explore Park. Take this road a mile or so until you enter the park. Race headquarters is at Journeys End.
For Race Information Contact:
Mountain Junkies L.L.C.
212 East Main Street, Salem, VA 24153