13th Into the Darkness Night Trail Run
October 26th, 2019, 7:00pm
Long Sleeve Shirts guaranteed by registering on or before October 1st
About the race
This is the Roanoke Valley’s most unique event. The course will take you through 4 miles of the Explore Park. Much of the course is on IMBA designed trails. The course consists of 2 miles of twisty rolling single track and 2 mile of grass and gravel roads. These trails will be marked with reflective arrows, glow sticks, and the occasional surprise (nothing scary, this is a family event). Every effort will be taken so that you will easily be able to find your way and stay on course.
A light source is mandatory; it is recommended that you have at least a headlamp or flashlight. I personally think it is best to carry one of each. A headlamp to see where you are going and a flashlight to cast shadows and give you depth perception (easier to see those sneaky roots and rocks). We will leave this up to your personal preference. It is recommended that you try your choice of light source under similar conditions prior to running the race.
PLEASE NOTE—Headlamps, flashlights, and any other light source will not be provided by race management.
Race Day Itinerary
5:15-6:40pm – Packet Pickup and Check-in.
6:45-7:00pm – Race Briefing – Discussion of Race & Course details.
– Food and drink as people finish and we prepare for the awards ceremony
– Into the Darkness Awards Ceremony
Age brackets for the races include, for both male and female:
9 & Under; 10-14; 15-19, 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70 & over
The top 3 overall male and female finishers for each race will receive distinctive awards.
The top three finishers in each age group will receive a medal recognizing their achievement.
Race Course Description;
There is a lot going on with the Explore Park and every time we are out there there is more work being done.
The race course is a mix of trail and paved and grassy roads. We start you out on a road so that you have time to spread out before hitting the the trail. From there it is a matter of following the person in front of you are the many reflective tacks, glowsticks or trail decor that we have set out for your amusement.
Detailed course description – New for 2019;
The race will be headquartered at the Arthur Taubman Center at the park’s entrance. The building across from the Visitors Center.
- Changes this year;
- New Start and Finish area on the gravel road to the side of the Arthur Taubman Center
- from the start, you will run down the main park road to the entrance to the Yellow Trail.
- at around mile .9 you will turn left onto the Blue Trail and take this to it’s connection with the Red Trail.
- At about 2.25 miles you’ll take a connector trail to the left, sharp left. This trail will connect with the Red Trail, taking you along the River Walk.
- from here you will take the gravel road left, up along Slone’s Grist Mill to the Farmstead Loop.
- Taking the loop counter clockwise you will pass by the Hofauger Farmstead, taking the Settlers Cabin Trail.
- At the Penn Oak Trail you will head left uphill to where this gravel road merges with Old Salem Turnpike.
- Take a left and take Old Salem Turnpike to the finish.
- The course is 4.2 miles measured by bike odometer and 450ft of elevation gain
Directions to the Explore Park
Once on the Blue Ridge Parkway go to milepost 115. Take the road into the Explore Park. Once in the park, you will use parking lot C the first lot to your right. We’ll be in the building across from the Visitors Center (Arthur Taubman Center).
Race Headquarters and Parking
We will be using Parking Lot C and headquartered in the Arthur Taubman Center.
From the North on I-81
Take I-81 to exit 150B (alternate 220 South). Take A220 approximately 5.5 miles south to HWY 460. You will take a left onto 460 East. Take 460 approximately 2.9 miles to the exit for the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP). Once on the BRP head south for approximately 9.4 miles to the exit for Virginia’s Explore Park. Take this road a mile or so until you enter the park.
From the South on I-81
Take I-81 to exit 143 for I-581 south. Take I-581 south through downtown Roanoke. Once you are through downtown I-581 turns to HWY 220. Continue to take 220 south until you reach the exit for the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP). This will be about a mile after the Lowe’s and Home Depot. Take the BRP north approximately 6 miles to the exit for Virginia’s Explore Park. Take this road a mile or so until you enter the park.
For Race Information Contact:
Mountain Junkies L.L.C.
212 East Main Street, Salem, VA 24153