12th Mill Mountain Mayhem 10k
April 4th, 2020 at 9:00am
Registration is up as of 11/1/19
Due to parking limitations this race will Be capped at 200 runners
Voted as one of the most loved Mountain Junkies races (it was voted most hated too). This is a great race on a tough mountain and perfect training for the Blue Ridge Marathon race weekend.
Mill Mountain is Roanoke’s most visible landmark and any activity on the mountain will require some climbing. You’ve got to get up to the top to enjoy the scenery and the blazing fast downhill to the finish.
The Course: will corkscrew around the mountain as you climb to the top and will end with a long downhill to the finish. The START will be at the trailhead for the Star Trail. Once on the Star Trail, the trail will intersect with the Fishburn Parkway where you will take a left for one mile on the asphalt road. At the intersection with the Mill Mountain Spur you will head right onto the Monument Trail. This will take you to the old road up Mill Mountain. From here you will climb up the old road to the Big Sunny Trail and then onto the Riser Trail. Here you will come to the Ridgeline Trail. This will take you up to the Star Overlook and then down the Star Trail for a screaming fast, and in many places rocky and rooty, downhill, back to the finish at the Star Trail trailhead.
2009 – David Cheromei 29 – 35:48:92
2013 – Melissa Teeple 18 – 45:58.26
2009 – Ed Dickenson 45 – 41:42:99
2019 – Carrie O’Keeffe 40 – 50:54:9
Race Age Groups:
Unique Awards will be given to the top 3 male and female winners and 1st male and female masters.
13 male and female age groups. with medals given to the top 3 in each age group.
Age brackets for the races include, for both male and female:
14 and under; 15-19; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70 & up.
If you win an award and cannot stay for the awards presentation, we’ll have the awards at Gilbert Chiropractic, for 2 weeks (540-375-3990). After that, they will go into the rotation for the next year.
Thursday 4/02/20 – at Gilbert Chiropractic in Salem – 375-3990; from 10-1 & 3-6pm.
Friday 4/03/20 at Fleet Feet Sports in Roanoke – 777-1166; from 10am-7pm
Saturday 4/04/20 Registration and Packet Pickup at the Star Trail Trailhead – 7:15-8:45am.
RACE DAY RULES:
- Race number must be on your front, and visible at all times. Do not tear off the bottom strip until the finish (Even if we chip time the event. The tear tag is our backup).
- Follow the marked trail – no short cutting. We have eyes everywhere!
- Communicate and be courteous when passing or being passed.
- Same goes for our volunteers. They’ve taken their day off to help you.
- Headphones (ipods, mp3 players, etc) are permitted only if you keep the volume down so that you can hear other runners behind you and our volunteers when they need to get your attention. Failure to do this will jeopardize the use of headphones for you and the other runners in the future.
- Dogs are NOT permitted.
- If you drop out of the race, please let us know at the finish line.
Roanoke City Parks and Recreation
Directions to the Start:
Closest Address is 1207 Riverland Road, Roanoke VA 24014
Directions to the Start:
From I-581 Take the Elm Exit. From the North take a LEFT on Elm or From the SOUTH take a RIGHT. Shortly Elm turns into a one way road Bullitt Ave. Take this to 9th street and take a right. 9th ends at a light at Riverland Road. Take a left and parking for the race will be on your right. If you go to the stop light for Garden City Blvd you have gone too far.
For those of you familiar with Roanoke you can still head to the Roanoke Memorial Hospital on McClanahan, to Walnut, take a left and then quick right onto Piedmont, and then a quick Right on Riverland. After about 1 mile you will turn right into the Star Trail Parking lot. If you go to the stop light for Garden City Blvd you have gone too far. The parking lot is just before the light up a gravel hill to the right.
Parking for the race (New Info):
Parking for this race will be limited.
The Star Trail Trailhead will be the race headquarters and parking at main lot will be reserved for race management and volunteers. This lot will be where you will register, pick up your packet, and check in.
Parking for racers in order of distance from race check-in:
1. At the Star Trail Trailhead – We will be using the gravel road that heads up to the old Water Tower. We will have volunteers to direct traffic. You will be directed to drive up to the top, turnaround and then park in line, in order of arrival.
If you plan to leave before the awards I’d recommend parking at the following option.
2. Will be across Riverland at the AEP power station (room for 30 or so cars).
3. At the former IGA/Piggly Wiggly grocery store (just past the star trail parking lot on the left. Park to the side of the parking lot.
For Race Information Contact:
Mountain Junkies L.L.C.
212 East Main Street, Salem, VA 24153