10th Frozen Toe 10k
New Event Location
presented by J. Randolph Clements, D.P.M.
Carilion Clinic Foot and Ankle
1/12/2019 – Hollins University
Due to the current government shutdown the National Park Service (NPS) will not be honoring any of their special use permits. This means that we will not be able to have the Frozen Toe 10k on the Chestnut Ridge Loop Trail, as it is entirely on NPS land.
We have secured a Plan B with Hollins University. Thanks Hollins University and Roanoke City Parks and Recreation! See course description below.
Our headquarters for the event will be in the building to the right of the #2 on the MAP
Packet Pickup and Event Day Info
Thursday 1/10/19 at Gilbert Chiropractic in Salem – 375-3990; from 10-1 & 3-6.
Friday 1/11/19 at Fleet Feet Sports in Roanoke – 4347 Franklin Road – 777-1166; from 10am-7pm
Packet Pickup and Check-in – 7:15-8:45
There will be no race day registration available
There will be a course briefing at 8:40
The course will now be a trail out and back. Heading towards Carvins Cove, runners will be running on Hollins University property where it links up with the Tinker Creek Greenway (TCG). Once on the TCG, runners will run out to where this trail meets up with the parking lot at the Carvins Cove boat docks at mile 3.1 (water and Skratch stop), and then return the way you came. Due to this being an out and back, communication with your fellow runners will be important. Regarding trail etiquette, faster runners get the right of way. It is always a good idea to call ahead to a runner you are passing to let them know you will be passing, and to mention what side you will be passing on.
The top 3 male and female winners along with the first male and female 40+ will receive unique awards.
13 male and female age groups. with medals given to the top 3 in each age group.
Age brackets for the event include, for both male and female: 14 and under; 15-19; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64, 65-69, 70 & up.
If you win an award and cannot stay for the awards presentation, we’ll have the awards at Gilbert Chiropractic, for 2 weeks (540-375-3990). After that, they will go into the rotation for the next year.
- Dogs are NOT permitted.
- Your Bib number must be worn on your front, and visible at all times. Do not tear off the bottom strip until the finish (Even if we chip time the event. The tear tag is our backup).
- Follow the marked trail – no short cutting. We have eyes everywhere! The trail will be marked with Pink Flags and pink and black polka dotted flagging tape. These will be placed often along the course.
- Communicate and be courteous when passing or being passed. Same goes for our volunteers. They’ve taken their day off to help you.
- There will be on Water/Skratch stop at mile 3.1
- Headphones (ipods, mp3 players, etc) are permitted only if you keep the volume down so that you can hear other runners behind you and our volunteers when they need to get your attention. Failure to do this will jeopardize the use of headphones for you and the other runners in the future.
- If you drop out for any reason or are unable to complete the entire course, please let us know at the finish line.
Results are typically done as the race is going on. We usually place these in close proximity to the finish line, on our white enclosed trailer.
Live results are typically uploaded to the race’s runsignup.com page as the race is going on.
And, finally we post final results ASAP following each race, to our results page www.mountainjunkies.net/results
For More Information Contact:
Mountain Junkies L.L.C.
212 East Main Street, Salem, VA 24153